
Two buildings in Weka Street, Numbers 46 and 48, made up Cabragh House School and Residence. The two-storey building was built in about 1897 and was the residence of Mr Hornsby and his three daughters.
When the house was constructed, it was built on the shores of the Nelson inlet. The single storey building was used as a private boarding and day school for girls and little boys.
John Pearson Hornsby purchased the two properties in Weka Street from Mr Greenen on 21 August 1901. Hornsby had been a manager in the railways in India and Northern Ireland. He was born in Carlisle, England in 1833. He married Charlotte Helen Menge in Bombay, India in January 1861.
The couple had at least 5 children: Charles Fraser born 1866 in Ballina, Ireland; Charlotte born 1872; Helen born 1874; Harriet Ruth born 1879; Janetta Martha born 1880, the four daughters all born in Dublin. Mrs Hornsby died in London during 1890.
A few years later in 1894, her husband and daughters emigrated to New Zealand. Their first home was ‘Seaview’ at Wakapuaka.
Helen died in 1901 aged 27. In September 1901, Hornsby wrote a letter to the Council asking permission to put in a bridge to his residence and for some gravel be laid. The remaining three daughters started the school.
On 21 August 1905, a notice appeared in the newspaper stating the proposed opening of Cabragh House School on 15 September. By October the advertisements read Cabragh House School Kindergarten.

An advertisement in November had a notice stating a scholarship was available for tuition in 1906. Miss J. M. Hornsby was listed as the principal.
During 1906 Cabragh House School was used by several other clients. There were weekly Lectures on First Aid by the St. John Ambulance Association. Herr Lemmer, from the Nelson School of Music took singing classes for ladies. A nursing course was also offered from June, for two hours each afternoon.
Advertisements for the school in 1907 listed all three Misses Hornsby as Principals. A report to the Education Board by the Inspectors of Nelson Schools, identified schools that did not come under control of the Board, one of which was Cabragh House with nine pupils.
A total number of 522 pupils were in these schools to be found in Westport, Reefton, Motueka, the preparatory divisions of Nelson College and Nelson Girls’ College, St Mary’s and Miss Hooper’s School in Nelson.
Concern was also expressed at the uncertificated teachers in such schools, the numbers of which were increasing. New Regulations for the Examination and Classification of Teachers were implemented to ensure competent teachers were available.
Extensive additions and improvements were made to Cabragh House School prior to the beginning of the second term in 1906. These included a new schoolroom, bathrooms, and extra bedrooms for boarders. The kindergarten class was conducted by the Principal Miss J. M. Hornsby.
1909 had advertisements for Cabaragh House School stating it was a boarding and day school for girls. The school inspectors report in April stated that the school now had only five pupils. The following year the roll increased to 15.
In May 1915, the advertisement for Cabragh House School included Boys, stating they would be received in the Preparatory Division.
The following year saw little boys admitted to the lower school. The higher number of students had been maintained during the year with more students boarding at the school. The Inspector’s examinations were held with good results. Several other ladies were employed to assist with the teaching. The primary section of the school was now Government registered.
At the end of 1917 it was decided not to pursue teaching beyond Standard 6. Cabragh House School had been open for just over 11 years and nearly 200 pupils had passed through. The roll had increased considerably, surpassing 40 pupils on several occasions.
Pupils had come from all over New Zealand and even from Australia. The school buildings had been enlarged and a second house built.
Adjoining ground had been leased to provide a basket-ball court.
In March 1918, Miss Janetta Hornsby travelled to Ireland where she married George Frederick Coulter at Rathdown, Dublin. Her older sister Charlotte was left in charge as the main principal of the school. The school roll that year had 19 pupils.
In May 1919 John Pearson Horsnby died at the age of 85. The following year an epidemic swept through Nelson delaying the opening of the school until 19 February 1920.
Little else is known about the following years apart from continued advertising in the newspapers.
In January 1924, Acting Principal Mrs Ulric West was in charge. One of the remaining Misses Hornsbys headed to the United Kingdom in April. During January 1927, Miss Charlotte Hornsby was leaving Nelson. She had arranged the Goodwill of the school to be taken over by Miss Glendining who had taken over the Bishop’s School at the beginning of 1926.
Eventually the three sisters all returned to Nelson, New Zealand. Janetta was a widow; her husband having died in 1936.
Janetta was the only one of the three who married. The three sisters are buried in Richmond Cemetery - Harriet Ruth in 1940, Charlotte in 1957, and Janetta in 1972.
By Marg Farrelly
Source - Historic Stories from Nelson’s Wakapuaka Cemetery Facebook. Although every effort has been made to provide complete and accurate information, the author does not guarantee the accuracy of content.