
One of the oldest institutions in Waimea was the Waimea South Mechanics’ Institution and Circulating Library.
At a meeting held in July 1853, it was resolved that this institution be founded. A committee was set up consisting of many well-known local names: Messrs Jackson, Baigent, Boddington, Wratt, Bird, Dickinson, Jessop, Tunnicliffe and Squire.
The object of the proposed institution was stated to be, “to provide rational amusement combined with intellectual instruction, by the instrumentality of a library and classes for mutual teaching in literature and science”.
Among the rules developed for the institution were:
• That political and religious books, controversial and otherwise, be admitted to the library but no discussions on those subjects be permitted within the institution.
• That no-one be admitted a member under 12 years old; but all persons above that age could apply for admission, with a written recommendation from two members of the committee, and paying to the Secretary the entrance fee and one quarter’s subscription in advance.
• That ordinary members under 21 years of age would pay a subscription of 1s. 1d. per quarter, with 1s. 6d. entrance on their admission as members,
• If the subscription of any member should be in arrears by three months, he will cease to be a member, and will only be re-admitted on payment of all arrears, and a new entrance fee, and on the recommendation of two members of the committee.
A site of two acres was purchased from Messrs Fell and Seymour on Pitfure Road.
The first building was opened on 17th July 1856 with the singing of “Rule Britannia”. An address on the progress of literature was delivered and a tea party was later held with 100 persons being present. For many years this institution filled a big gap in the community. Music classes were held weekly, and a good supply of books was kept with six hundred volumes on the shelves by 1860.
On the retirement of Mr Walter Bird in 1880, Mr Fred Faulkner was appointed librarian and secretary, a position he held until 1913.
As the needs of the library and community grew a new site became necessary and a meeting was called in April 1911 to discuss options. This turned out to be very lively as opposing opinions divided the meeting and community.
A lengthy discussion followed with an explanation of why the meeting had been called. Previously, a resolution had been passed to accept an offer from James Hooper of free land donated near Wai-iti (Pigeon Valley Bridge) for a new library building.
However, some felt a better offer made by Mr Gibbs needed to be considered. It was noted that the site was warmer, drier and sunnier while Mr Hooper’s was nearer the railway crossing and business corner and was subject to cold winds, damp and liable to flood.
Committee members argued, with one trustee threatening to resign depending on which way the site discussion went. By the end of the meeting a motion was raised to sell the current building and erect a new library, which was passed.
The old site was duly sold and in April 1912 the new Wakefield Library opened on the land once owned by Joseph Gibbs.