
One evening in late June 1916 the Old Peoples Home, situated in Nelson, burnt down after a fire started in the men’s sitting room. Due to an inadequate water supply the fire brigade was helpless and the building was lost.
Immediate thoughts went to where to house the residents, or inmates as they were then called. The Education Board offered a temporary solution for the use of two buildings that had been used as a ‘Home for Defectives’, in Salisbury Rd, Richmond.
The understanding was that these buildings were available for a period of six months, however reality was that it was only offered for six weeks so another solution had to be found.
A proposal was called for by the Hospital Board to build a new home on the site of the destroyed one in Nelson, but this would take time, so the residents were moved into a temporary home in Upper Queen St in September 1916.
Talks for the new home rebuild in Nelson stalled after disagreements over costings, and the Board declined to give approval for any new plans. A resolution was made and accepted to secure a further lease for twelve months for the current home at Richmond.
During this time, Mr W Heslop offered to sell the property which comprised of between four and five acres and the ten-roomed home. This was accepted and the home became the property of the Hospital and Charitable Aid Board for the price of £874.
In April 1923 the office members of the Board decided to retain the present home as there had been additional accommodation for a further 10 inmates built and new quarters for the matron and master.
From time-to-time members of the Hospital Board would inspect the home. In mid-July 1925 the chairman paid a visit and found it extremely cheerless with no comfort for the elderly.
One councillor stated that it was depressing, and he was ashamed to take a visitor there, comparing the home to a barrack. Renovations were called for which took two years to complete, providing a comfortable and congenial home for the elderly.
Arthur and Mary Hunter were appointed as the Master and Matron in July 1926 and were the longest serving in these positions. They were a dedicated couple who put their heart and soul into making sure the residents were well cared for and comfortable.
Arthur undertook most of the upkeep of the home, being a very capable handyman, but also maintained gardens, beehives and poultry. Mary undertook bottling, pickling and jam-making to ensure the home was well supplied with seasonal produce.
Arthur remained in the position of Master until 1945, having completed 19 years of work.
Although Alexandra Home was for the elderly there was a time in 1941 when magistrates were committing people there who had been convicted of offences such as drunkenness.
This resulted in considerable trouble, as rules were broken, conditions of committal were disregarded, and inappropriate behaviour occurred.
The home remained at Upper Queen Street until June 1968, when its residents were moved to Gilbert Street in Richmond.
By Robyn Parkes