
BY ROBYN PARKES
For many years Hampden Riding, Murchison, was included in the Inangahua County. But in May 1907 a public meeting of residents voted to separate from Inangahua and form a new county with local government.
Such was the interest that many of those attending travelled long distances, with the greatest being 60 miles. Mr McKenzie, M.H.R. attended to support the plan and expressed his belief that their isolation and their growing importance justified the step. He was not satisfied with the way the Inangahua Council had treated them and considered that as they were so far from the centre of administration it would be better for them to separate.
In support, McKenzie wrote up a Separation Bill proposing that the new county should come into existence on 1 April 1908. Residents were reminded that, in separating, they would be responsible for their pro rata share of the general debt of the Inangahua County. The meeting finished with a unanimous show of hands for separation.
The Muchison County Bill was advertised and lodged in court. After successful readings, it was finally passed on 8 October 1908 and came into force on 1 April 1909. Elections were held on 20 May and the first Council meeting arranged for 25 May 1909. One of the first duties of the councillors was to negotiate the apportionment of assets and liabilities between Inangahua and the new county.
The newly-appointed acting clerk, V McNamara, and councillor Rait were sent to Reefton to undertake this task. The resulting agreement of these negotiations saw the punt and the ferry reserves at the ferry over the Buller River near Fern Flat become the property of Murchison County. Also gained was the full sum of £481 14s 4d, currently in the hands of the Nelson Land Board, which had accrued due to the Inangahua Council prior to the 31st day of March 1909.
However, Murchison County was to pay Inangahua County the sum of £1328 and 6 shillings as its share of the debts and liabilities of Inangahua County as existing on the 31st of March 1909. They also had to pay the sum of £71,14s for moneys expended by the Inangahua County on the Hampden riding roads during the months of February and March 1909.
Finally, the new county was to pay to Inangahua Council the sum of £43 3s 1d on or before the 28th day of January and July each year until the expiry of the term of the general loan (4 years) as a share of the interest and sinking fund in respect of a general loan of £5200 obtained by the Inangahua Council from the Government.
Inangahua County retained the whole of the assets of the Inangahua Council as existing on the 31st day of March 1909, with the exception of those mentioned above. At the second council meeting, the report and agreement of the apportionment of assets and liabilities between the two counties was read.
Cr Rogers moved that the Council refuse to accept the agreement made by the County delegates as it was unfair, and the provisions were against the best interests of the people of the Murchison County and that the delegates had no power to conclude a binding agreement on behalf of the new county.
A vote was held with the majority in favour of accepting the agreement. The County Council’s permanent base of operations was built on Fairfax St and completed in 1913.