
BY ROBYN PARKES
Due in part to pressure from the Department of Health, Nelson Hospital Board purchased Nurse Coogan’s Motueka property in October 1922, and the cottage hospital opened in February 1923, with Miss D Warnock appointed matron.
Fees were set at £3/3/- a week for maternity cases, £2/2/- a week for waiting time and £2/2/- for ordinary cases. However, it was seriously inconvenienced by a shortage of equipment and water, a problem that continued into late October 1924.
By mid-1926 more improvements were needed and, because of ongoing expenses, the Board floated the idea of leasing the hospital and subsidising someone to run it rather than continue to lose £1000 a year. The necessary improvements were completed providing eight beds for patients. A new wing was added, a nursery, sterilising room, bathroom, drying room, laundry, conveniences for staff, hot water, room for emergency cases and veranda space.
The hospital’s maintenance remained a source of contention and, in September 1927, the Chairman of the Board labelled the situation and the hospital as an ‘incubus’ as it was a burden to the ratepayers and taxpayers of Nelson. Between 1924 and 1927 the Board covered capital costs of £3517. Maintenance costs were £5071 and receipts were £1397, leaving a deficit of £3674.
By early 1931, New Zealand was in financial difficulty with a projected national deficit of £4,500,000, requiring cuts in all areas including health. Nelson Board economised by increasing patients’ fees from 9s to 12s per day for all districts, reducing subsidies and closing Motueka’s hospital. The option of leasing was again considered and a lease tender was advertised in June 1931, but none were forthcoming, so the hospital was to be closed at the end of August.
The Minister of Health was not in agreeance and instructed the Board to reconsider. Without Ministerial approval, they were forced to continue but with no money, so they called on the Department to cover all expenditure. The Inspector of Hospitals (Dr. Shaw) visited Motueka to meet with the mayor (Mr York), and local representatives. His report went to the Minister of Health, who reiterated the hospital should remain open.
The Board informed the Department that if the Government couldn’t guarantee the subsidy to keep it open, the hospital would close in October. The closure was averted. The following year the subject of leasing was again discussed with a plan to lease to an approved person free of cost, with a subsidy of £200 per annum granted to the lessee to accept general cases.
Fees for patients with an income of up to £5 were fixed by the Board but the lessee could decide fees for those over a £5 income. Miss E. Edwards of Christchurch was successful with her tender and she took over the hospital in October 1932. The arrangement worked well for six years but in June 1938, due to increasing costs and lack of trained nurses, Miss Edwards asked to be released from her contract.
Not able to find another lessee, the hospital was closed in October and again the Department of Health advised that Nelson Board should re-open and provide staff.
During 1939 there were complaints that the state of the hospital was unsatisfactory, and there were problems with the matron. With her resignation and no nurses available it was closed temporarily in April until staff could be found.
During the closure more improvements were undertaken, staff were found and much to the delight of the community it was reopened in August 1939.