
BY ROBYN PARKES
As settlers moved into the area of Waimea East (Richmond), moves to replicate some of the societies, clubs, groups, etc from the old country began.
On 12 November 1846, a public meeting was held to take steps to begin a mechanics’ institution, as a means of dispersing knowledge among all classes.
With agreeance that a library should be started immediately, the next thought was to what activities would take place within the institution.
What was seen to be crucial, was for the need to service those without the means or ability to study books, towards upskilling and increasing their knowledge. It was decided that public readings of some of the best authors known would be held and that some of the gentleman of the settlement would be available to give lectures and to form classes for instruction in the elementary branches of learning.
By the end of the meeting, new governing rules were developed and documented covering the set up and running of the institute. It was agreed that the new society would be formed, under the name of the ‘Richmond Mechanics’ Institution’ to provide instruction and the general cultivation of literature and science.
Political and religious books, controversial and otherwise, were to be admitted to the library, but no discussions on those subjects would be permitted within the institution.
Membership age was set at 12 and above with each person wishing to join having to have a written commendation from two members of the committee.
Ordinary members under 21 years paid a subscription of 4d per month, with 6d entrance on their admission as members, and ordinary members above that age paid a subscription of 4d a month, and 1shilling entrance. Subscribers of 10 shillings a year or upwards had the distinction of being honorary numbers and anyone who donated a book or gave a donation of £3 or more was entitled to become a life member.
Officers and committee members elected were, Mr Fox, president; Rev. Aldred, vice-president; Mr Otterson, treasurer; Committee, Mr. W. Harkness, J. Ladley, B. Jackson, W. Lyne, J. Allen, W. Snow, J. Barnicoat, J. Thompson;
Around 30 men immediately enrolled as members and 80 volumes of donated books were offered from three donors with many more being promised.
One month on and membership was up to 52. Monday and Saturday evenings were set aside for public readings, Wednesday and Fridays for instruction in reading, writing and arithmetic, and Thursdays for lectures and discussions. Among the earliest lectures given were on ‘self-instruction’, ‘mechanical powers’ and ‘astronomy’.
The institute was well patronised with pleasing results that the young men of the settlement were actively “stirring themselves in intellectual pursuits”.
By late 1857, the focus was for a reading room for the village and parents and older members were reminded that it was their duty to aid and encourage the building of such a room. A new reading and lecture room was completed in mid-1858. The building, costing around £200, consisted of a reading room 15 feet by 26 feet, with an adjoining librarian’s room.
With great satisfaction the institute library dream had been realised and there was much pride expressed of the increasing intellectual activity in the district.