
Ngatimoti is the small settlement 18 kilometres southwest of Motueka, lying on the banks of the Motueka River. The earliest settlers, arriving in 1854/55, were the Salisbury brothers, John, Thomas and Edward.
George Remnant arrived in Ngatimoti around 1860, playing a prominent part in assuring the education of the children. In the early days of settlement, the land was covered in thick bush without any roads and everything having to be carried on one’s back or by packhorse. By the 1890’s hundreds of acres of land had been cleared, making room for homesteads.
By 1868 a school was opened followed by a Post Office in 1870, based in the schoolroom, allowing settlers to receive their letters and newspapers twice a week. Slowly, the social and educational needs of the people was being met, and in 1880 a move began to build a church, catering for the spiritual needs of the community.
As was always the case when a need was identified, the community responded with a Church of England sale of work, an event festival held at the schoolhouse and grounds.
The Bishop arrived about noon, and at two o’clock held a short service, and directly afterwards, assisted by the Rev. S. Poole, baptized a number of children.
The goods offered up for sale were all gone by five in the afternoon, after which the school children had their tea followed by the adults. Prizes were distributed to the children by the Bishop before he delivered a lecture on the Cradle of the Human Race. With the day not yet finished by 10pm, the schoolroom became a scene of festivities which continued until the break of day.
Mr Guy announced his intention of giving a piece of ground for the erection of the church, and during the afternoon the ground was pegged out and formally handed over to the committee.
The newly-completed St James church was consecrated on Tuesday, 28 October, 1884. Settlers came in large numbers from Riwaka, Motueka, Pangatotara, Moutere, Dovedale, Woodstock and a party of about twenty from Nelson, resulting in not all being able to get into the church. Consecration services were held, the sermons being preached by the Rev A. H. Sedgwick, Rev P. Innes Jones, and Rev Taylor.
The first draft plan of the church was drawn by Mr Pownall, of Wanganui, who was a son-in-law of Mr Sutcliffe, master of Ngatimoti school. The designs were subsequently prepared by Mr Walter Good, of Nelson, and the contractor was Mr Robinson, of Motueka.
The chancel fittings were executed by Mr Fleming, of Nelson, and were chiefly paid for through the exertions of a lady in Motueka. The seats were of kauri wood and were designed and made by Mr Strachan of Ngatimoti.
Services were held throughout the day culminating in hymns and anthems in the evening. Almost every house in the settlement was full, with even persons not belonging to the Church of England offering hospitality.
About twenty were put up in tents, which were pitched by Messrs Strachan brothers, and provided with clean straw by Mr Heath.