
Previous to the Wakefield Catholic church being built parishioners either walked or travelled by cart to the church in Waimea West for services, near the home of the Redwood family so it was natural that a church closer to home was needed.
A property for the purpose was already secured, that being a two-acre plot in Pitfure Road and owned by Capt. Richard England’s estate.
The first meeting of the Catholics of Wakefield to consider the matter of building a church was held in February 1869. The Rev. Father Chareyre submitted two plans prepared by Messrs Jacobson and Stewart respectively, the latter being accepted. Mr Good’s tender was accepted for the building of the church.
A committee was formed to carry out the work and subsequent meetings were held concerning the site, to arrange for the calling of tenders to build the church, to organise the provision of materials required and for the work to be done.
The laying of the foundation stone ceremony was held of the 10th of October 1869 with The Rev. Father Garin celebrating mass and the stone laid by Mr Joseph Hoult, Senr.
By the end of April of the following year the church building was completed, and the opening took place on the 7th of May with about 250 people attending.
Following the ceremony, led by Father Garin and Chareyre the congregation sat down for a sumptuous meal before returning to their homes. The dedication took place the following day.
The total cost of the church was around £1082, the funding achieved through subscriptions from both within Wakefield and the wider district. Some generous donations were made with Joseph Hoult Senr providing the heart of totara pit sawn timber for the church and J Hoult Junr providing shingles for the roof.
Other donations consisted of Mr Fowler, carting of materials; Edward Fowler, senr., the church seats; Joseph Tomlinson and Edward Fowler, Junr., the high altar designed by Father Chareyre in the Gothic style; W. Jones. the rail and fence around property; J. Hagen and C. Tomlinson, the stone and sand for church foundations.
Father Chareyre left the district in 1871 and at a farewell function he was presented with a purse of sovereigns. He immediately handed the purse over as a donation for the building committee in order to help clear the debt.
St Joseph’s Church was built with gables, an externally buttressed nave, porch, chancel and vestry all with lancet window and a gilded cross to top the spire.
The entrance into the church grounds is now flanked by two pillars made from stone carted from the Wai-iti River. Each pillar has a granite plaque which bears the names of the first committee and the William Hoult Memorial.
On the church grounds sits a pretty and peaceful cemetery where many of the Catholic settlers of the Wakefield area were laid to rest.
One hundred and fifty years later the church still stands, a testament to the quality of the building but also to the dedication of its parishioners over the decades who have loved and cared for the church.