
Marked as a red-letter day in Motueka, 24 November 1934 was the opening of the Brooklyn hydro-electric scheme and the culmination of the policy initiated by the Waimea Electric Power Board to provide cheaper power throughout the district.
The new scheme would supply the Riwaka, Motueka, Tasman and lower Moutere areas, generating 250 kilowatts of power and serving around 5000 people.
Although there were some who questioned the ability of the Brooklyn stream to supply the power needed, assurances were given that it would be sufficient.
As it became apparent that Motueka could not carry on with its old plant attention turned to the development of Boulder Lake. However, it was not pursued owing to the cost, so investigations were made for a smaller scheme to meet the requirements of the district.
Engineers in charge of the investigations were satisfied that the Brooklyn Valley stream would offer adequate power for the current requirements and the cost was considered not overly cumbersome.
Specifications were issued and the various tenders closed in March 1934, including ones for the supply, delivery and erection of the plant, concrete poles, steel rails, transformers, reticulation materials and block wiring.
There was rapid progress and by July the electrical supply had been extended to Tasman to be followed by extending the lines to Mapua and Riwaka, planned to be completed by September.
Two months later and the project was completed.
The new station was several miles up the valley with the building down a bank near to the stream. A dam at the point just under the saddle between the Brooklyn and Riwaka rivers gave a fall of 940 feet to power the station with a pipe-line around one mile long giving a pressure of 400lbs per square inch at the power station.
The whole of the plant and reticulation was British made and the consulting engineers were congratulated on their energy and perseverance on pushing the completion of the scheme.
The plant was of a Peyton type being coupled directly with the generator, running at 1000 revolutions per minute.
A concrete syphon automatically lowered the level of the dam when the water exceeded a certain level and a small weir was erected at the head of the dam to measure the flow of water into it. The plant was installed by Metropolitan Vickers with Messrs Vickerman and Lancaster acting as consulting engineers who were vital to the project as the original Board had little knowledge in matters of electricity.
The switching-on ceremony was performed by Mr Herbert Everett, chairman of the Waimea Electric Power Board, in front of around 350 people including representatives from local bodies in the Nelson district, from the Public Works Department, Marlborough Power Board, Westport Borough Council and several mayors.
Following the opening the community were invited to partake in a community afternoon tea. A dinner was held at the Post Office Hotel in the evening for all representatives.
Mr Lancaster playfully remarked that he had, for a short period, been on the committee of a pettifogging, pin-pricking Progress League; and had come to the conclusion that consulting engineers should include psychology in their training.
The Waimea Electric Power Board laid on a smoke concert to its staff in Bowers Sample Rooms to celebrate the opening.
If you have any suggestions for history items you would like looked into please email sara@topsouthmedia.co.nz