
Robyn Parkes
With the onset of another world war, Murchison readied itself to be equipped for all situations and ensured the small township contributed towards the cause in whatever way they could.
While many of the young men volunteered to serve in the forces, others joined the Home Guard or the Emergency Precautions Scheme (EPS), and women joined the Women’s War Service Auxiliary (WWSA).
The Home Guard, established in 1940, was a semi-military body open to all males 16 years or over who were not actively attached to any of the forces. The main functions of the Guards was physical and military training, and the provision of guards, pickets, patrols, sentries, etc., and units for specialist duties which were to be available in the defence of New Zealand. Area Commander, E. Lucie Smith, and Dominion Liaison Officer visited Murchison in November 1940 to encourage men to join up. Approximately 200 men from Murchison and the wider district joined this service.
The Emergency Precautions Scheme was a government initiative established to prepare for disasters, including enemy attacks, fires, and other emergencies - the equivalent of today’s Civil Defence. Sixty-three men joined, holding parades or meetings fortnightly.
They formed into sections to assist the district in the event of an emergency with controllers appointed to each group, these being transport, medical, St John Ambulance, communications, fire, demolition, records, supplies and electric lights.
A finance committee was established to control public subscriptions, to organise local patriotic appeals and to assist any patriotic work, including the rehabilitation of returned soldiers, all under the control of chairman F. H. Newman. A co-ordinating committee was appointed to assist and guide the working of the various services to avoid unnecessary overlapping of work.
A much-needed Fire Brigade was inaugurated, fire alarms were placed in different parts of the township and ladders, fire pumps, buckets and other equipment was purchased and made ready. A first aid section set to in acquiring stocks of important medical goods, organising nursing and first aid staff and arranging for ambulance and stretchers.
The Women’s War Service Auxiliary was an organisation that coordinated the efforts of women during the war, including recruiting for the armed forces and supporting various war-related activities. Under the presidency of Mrs R. Thurlow, the women of the town oversaw many tasks to support the war effort. Within their first year of operation, they had distributed wool and used garments to the refugee section of the Red Cross, undertaken farewells for men going overseas and collected gift parcels to be sent out to the soldiers.
The Lady Galway Guild members met at various homes throughout the township each week, and spent time making and knitting garments to be delivered from the district to where the need was.
Fifteen women drivers joined the Women’s Transport Section under the leadership of Miss O. Wallace and received mechanical and driving instruction of light and heavy trucks, sufficient to relieve the men should the necessity arise.
Mr H. Stewart granted the use of his shop in Fairfax St for patriotic work, to be used by the women as a headquarters for local activities. Produce was sent in by settlers and sold to assist the local funds.
Financial appeals were held throughout the district by running Queen Carnival events and by late 1941 district funds amounted to £2342.
The Murchison district, at one time, topped the Nelson district on a per capita basis for contributions, but soon afterwards this slowed down. With a rousing reminder of the sacrifices of the men at the front and the plight of those living with war, the community rose to the challenge to support their boys and to do whatever they could to help the war effort.