
Ruby Bay and McKee Domain have for many years been a favourite spot to enjoy some picnicking, camping and fishing.
As early as 1867 land had been purchased in the area. The Buxton family of Stoke erected a holiday home there with access only being by boat. Due to a family tragedy, they leased the land to William Stafford who eventually purchased the property.
Stafford freely allowed parties to camp on the land, the only condition being that the native ferns and shrubs were not to be removed or destroyed.
This was obviously not adhered to as the following year Stafford advertised that due to the destruction of the native bush anyone wanting to use the grounds in the future would need to get permission first.
Arthur McKee of Riwaka purchased around 2600 acres of land in the Tasman area, including at Ruby Bay, and by 1911 the estate was subdivided into blocks for orchards.
Access was difficult so in April 1915 the Minister of Public Works visited for the purpose of inspecting the various routes for the new road from Nelson to Motueka via Appleby, Bronte, Ruby Bay and Tasman. By the end of 1918 the road was almost completed with only a gap of about ¾ of a mile remaining between Stringer’s property to Bronte.
Mrs Stafford, now a widow, left Ruby Bay mid-1919 and the property was taken over by Mr Watt. In April 1921 an attempt was made to secure 27 acres of Stafford’s Bush for a scenic and recreational reserve from the Government. The Minister was sympathetic but expected the district to contribute around £600 toward the purchase price.
In 1928, the chairman of Nelson Automobile Association waited on the City Engineer concerning reserve facilities for camping and indicated that they were in the process of approaching McKee to secure a piece of land in the locality of the Bluffs at Ruby Bay for a picnic ground.
In the same month a shop/tea rooms were opened by Mr Burton on the Ruby Bay Road where visitors could obtain a cup of tea and grocery items.
In the second half of 1930 Nelson Automobile Association did purchase five acres of land at Ruby Bay as a public area belonging to James Allan, and an area further on containing native bush being the property of Arthur McKee.
The property was cleared of noxious weeds and rubbish and a number of ngaio trees were planted along the front. Three concrete fireplaces were built, several large holes were dug to provide a place for rubbish, conveniences and sign boards were placed notifying that the grounds were an Association picnic and camping ground. Still to be completed was a road to be run down the bank to the grounds.
In November, Stafford’s Estate, under the control of the Public Trust, accepted the Associations offer for land that gave the Association the whole of the land from the road down to McKee’s fence.
Within a few months, except for the question of a water supply, most of the necessary work at Ruby Bay was complete and all told had cost around £250.
The 21 acres of native bush that McKee set aside was gifted to the AA for public use. In 1948 the land was declared a public domain under the administration of Department of Lands and Surverys and AA gifted their land to the Crown in 1956.
In 1979 the land was classified as recreation reserve under the Reserves Act.
The land was later transferred to the Crown and is now managed by the Department of Conservation, carrying the name of McKee Memorial Reserve, and the recreations reserve managed by Tasman Council.