
ROBYN PARKES
In 1897, sheepdog trials took place under the auspices of the Golden Bay A and P Association, and while it was well received there was a strong feeling that it could be improved by forming a club and drawing up proper rules and regulations.
In September the following year, enthusiasts meet in the East Tākaka schoolroom to discuss the formation of either a collie or sheepdog club.
Particularly, the young men in Tākaka showed great interest in sheepdogs and a healthy rivalry existed amongst them as to whose dog was the best.
Some good working strains had been imported into the district, both smooth and rough coated collies, along with Scotch Beardies and it was hoped to improve bloodlines, import more animals and to use the club as an avenue for training.
By the end of the meeting, it was unanimously decided to form a club to be called the Takaka Collie Club.
The first committee consisted of: president – T. B. Barnett, vice-presidents – E. Rosser and H. Rose, Treasurer – A. Sparrow, Secretary – J.H. Newport and other committee members – J. Franklyn, D. Barnett, F. Windle. Decisions were made to settle the annual subscription at 2sh 6d.
The club’s first annual sheepdog trial took place in January 1899 in Mr A. Sinclair’s paddock at central Tākaka.
There was great interest in the event, resulting in large numbers of spectators, all happy to pay the entrance fee of one shilling, enthralled with the skill of the dogs.
Each event ran under time constraints as to how long the competitors had to achieve the required result, and the man in charge of this task was Mr W. G. Baigent. The various event results – The Puppy Stakes, which involved stopping five sheep at 100 yds, then bringing them back and hold in a ring in 10 minutes, was won by E. Windle’s Moss.
The Hunt was won by G. Copple’s Fly, and the Cut, by E. Rosser’s Fly. Great interest was shown in the last event with 16 dogs competing and all severely tried by the sheep which were said to be about the most stubborn brutes obtainable.
The Hold was won by J. Smith’s Nipper and the Owner and Dog event, which included driving five sheep between hurdles, was won by J. Franklyn and his dog Joe. Riwaka formed their own club around 1900 and held their first event in T. McMahon’s paddocks with S. Wratt and Thomas Grooby officiating as judges.
This club found that over time there was a marked improvement in the breeding and training of sheepdogs and also in the skills of the handler, who at times were known to direct the dog with shouting, whistling and a few choice cuss words.
This was replaced with the quiet manner of command and swift execution of that command by the dog. Once established, these Collie Clubs held annual sheepdog trials with entrants coming from all over the district.
The Riwaka club at some point ended, as in October 1915 Mr James Cook gave £3 17s 3d to the Central Tennis Club, this being the balance belonging to the old Riwaka Collie Club.