
ROBYN PARKES
During the 1930’s, the need of a new church for Tapawera was raised. A committee was set up in 1934 as the driving force behind the goal.
Over the following two to three years, a variety of events were organised to raise funds for the new building including bazaars, dances, concerts and even a cattle drive.
George MacMahon, who had lived in Tapawera since 1894, offered a section of land on which to build the church.
He was a man who was dedicated to his community, and in ensuring the new church could be used by all, did not attach any conditions on the donation that it must be used by only one denomination.
The locals of Tapawera came together to help with the work where possible. Through these efforts the church was truly owned by the community, becoming a joint use building for all denominations.
Tenders were invited by the architects, Messrs Houlker and Duke, for the erection of a wooden structure to sit on a concrete base, and the exterior to be plastered, to seat around 80 people. The successful tender was won by Messrs McWhinny and Hand.
On a cloudy day in May 1937, the community gathered to witness the laying of the foundation stone by the Right Rev. W. G. Hilliard, Bishop of Nelson.
With the ceremony completed, they retired to Greep’s Boarding House where afternoon tea was enjoyed, and a sum of money was raised and placed in the church funds.
The church was opened on 27 June, with an overwhelming majority of the Tapawera district locals attending, resulting in the church, porch and vestry overflowing with people.
Bishop Hilliard dedicated the church, giving it the name of St Peters, expressing his hope that the congregations of the neighbouring and sister churches of St James at Tadmor and St Andrews at Stanley Brook would blend together in a friendly, co-operative spirit. The bishop also dedicated a lectern, donated by the family of the later George Macmahon. A brass cross was donated by Mr V Powell of Blenheim, two vases were gifted by Archdeacon Smith, of Wakefield, the organ was presented by Mr S. Fenemore and 11 seats were supplied by 11 separate donors.
The first wedding in the church was that of Muriel Phillips of Glenrae, Tapawera, and Lionel Russ of Tui, in late July 1937. In June 1958, the church was consecrated, officially being recognised as an Anglican Church but would still be available for use by other denominations. The Catholics first used it for Mass in 1972 and shared in its care.
The small but pretty church has stood on its site, prominently placed as one enters Tapawera, for around 88 years. Within these walls there have been events both solemn and informal, bringing both tears and joy as it cocoons the locals of Tapawera. In only another 12 years, the church and congregation will enjoy the celebration of 100 years.