
ROBYN PARKES
As the development of Nelson’s country district farms grew and intensified the need for veterinarians became an important factor in maintaining the health and well-being of the animals. Livestock were the backbone of the districts agricultural production, providing food and resources, so the need for veterinary expertise to understand and manage animal diseases grew. The settlements of the Waimeas were well served by some dedicated vets.
For a short time, George Sparrow conducted a veterinary business in Richmond before leaving for Golden Bay.
In 1859 Edward Brock, Member of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons of London, began practising in Nelson, and later extended his service to Richmond in 1863.
Having studied in a sporting and agricultural practice in England, he became very competent in the diseases of horses. By 1877 he had moved to Christchurch. Edward’s brother, George Augustus Brock, also undertook a veterinary role.
Victor Granville commenced practising in Richmond in 1882 and by strict attention and moderate charges, hoped that he would attract the patronage of the district. He qualified from the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons in Sweden in April 1868. While his skill as a vet were never in question, his stability to stay in one place was. After only one year Granville gave up the business in Richmond and moved to Christchurch. However, in May 1885 he came back, stating he was the only qualified veterinary surgeon holding a diploma and practising in the Nelson province. By 1896 he had left the district, moving to Taranaki.
James Stirton, who specialised in horse, cattle, sheep and dog medicines, began practising in Brightwater in January 1900 but within 10 years had moved to Wanganui.
Thomas Hunt of Wakefield advertised as being a vet in Richmond in June 1874. In a rather morbid incident in 1897, Hunt attended George Field’s mare who was in foal and in trouble. The foal was born without shoulders or forelegs so, as a ‘freak of nature’ Hunt had photographs of the foal taken and sold them at one shilling each.
Setting up in Queen Street in 1926 was Carlos Van Gomez, from Wellington. Mr E. Newport was instrumental in helping to facilitate his acceptance into the district by encouraging townsfolk and farmers to support Gomez in his new practice.
Within a few months of being in the district he was recommended to the Farmers Union and was retained by them to provide services to members.
In May 1927, at Richmond a small gathering of men met under the auspices of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association to discuss the formation of a Veterinary Members Association.
Two schemes to secure the services of a veterinary surgeon were under consideration; (1) subscription to the Association and concession on the vets’ fees or (2) subscription and members would be issued with reports with an equivalent number of coupons for the surgeon’s visits. With a decision made to go ahead with the new Association and all present adding their names to a subscription list as members, a sub-committee was set in place to further the idea. Within a few years Gomez became the Honorary Veterinarian for various groups, including the District Kennel Club, Trotting Club, Nelson Jockey Club, Nelson A & P Association and the Motueka A & P Association.
Gomez had incredible energy and enthusiasm in carrying out his role as vet and spent long hours working with the animals he tended. After 17 years in Richmond, he relocated to Wairarapa.
Mr Wilde, Purdie and Malone also worked as veterinarians in the Waimeas. Today Richmond is well covered for the care of our animals through the services of two vet clinics.