
ROBYN PARKES
The inauguration of Richmond’s Fire Brigade was on 23 August 1878 following a spate of fires in the township.
The occasion was celebrated in Richmond with the Nelson Brigade travelling out by train, bringing their engine with them.
In August a year later, the brigade received their new imported fire engine and two ladders. This engine was capable of throwing a jet to the height of 130 feet and had a double delivery which could, by the addition of two union couplings, be increased to four.
A member of the brigade, in 1881, pointed out that it cost £3 12sh each year to pay for the cleaning of the engine, which the brigade had to raise, and this was a burden on the organisation. The same year the need for a fire bell was raised, as up to this point they were using the Church of England bell. Within 12 months the brigade secured a new fire bell, a 500ft hose and a tower.
With a growing need to have a purpose-built station for all their gear, the secretary of the brigade approached the Road Board for permission to erect an engine shed on their property in September 1884. This was given to build on a plot of land on the eastern boundary of the Road Board property, subject to removal if found necessary, and the brigade had to forward a design to the board.
Robert Malcom secured the tender for the building of a fire engine shed and meeting room. It was completed in March 1885, and comprised of a large meeting room on one end with the other portion providing a home for the fire engine and brigade appliances. The cost of construction, at around £16, was primarily paid out of funds entrusted to the brigade for general expenses, but a portion had to be borrowed from the members fund as there was not sufficient money to complete it.
The first gathering held in the meeting room comprised of a supper, at which Capt. Lightfoot was thanked for drawing up the plans and specifications for the building, for supervising its construction and for giving a dozen chairs to help furnish the room.
In late 1891, the NZ Clothing Factory completed the order for making dress uniforms of the brigade. The officer’s uniform was a frock coat of scarlet twill cloth with black cloth collars and cuffs trimmed with silver lace and buttons and silver cord shoulder knots, black French caps with silver lace band and buttons. The uniform for the members was made of the same cloth with black trimmings and shoulder knots, black cap with scarlet band and button. In realising the value of the Fire Brigade, the residents of Richmond rallied in holding concerts and events in aid of the institution to ensure their work continued to be able to protect the town.
Recorded as some of the more serious fires; August 1887, the White Hart Hotel was destroyed but later rebuilt, June 1910, Mr May’s bacon and butter factory destroyed, March 1917, the grandstand at Richmond Park destroyed, May 1920, the White Hart Hotel destroyed for the second time, December 1928, Business of F Lusty and A Muntz in Queen Street destroyed and May 1950, the Star and Garter Hotel destroyed.
The old fire station in Queen St was repurposed in the early 1980’s and the present one was opened in Oxford Street in 1982.