
ROBYN PARKES
Motueka’s early Catholic Church, named St Francis, was opened on 25 May 1879 by the Rev. Father’s Garin and Mahoney, with upwards of 100 people attending from the Motueka and Riwaka districts and a number of visitors from Nelson, conveyed by the Lady Barkly.
Much of the money required for the build was raised through subscriptions from locals and several reverends. With a growing congregation a new church was needed, and in June 1912 a site in Greenwood St was secured with plans to start reasonably soon, but it is unknown what happened as when the new church was finally built in 1917 it was placed on the corner of High and Fearon Sts.
By July it was nearing completion and was noted as being a handsome structure.
Architect Mr A. R. Griffen was praised for the building concept of using marble and it was said to be the first church built with this medium in the country. The marble came from the Takaka hill quarries of Nelson Marble Company, the owners being Messrs McKee and Manoy. This company were also engaged as the builders; the work being done under the supervision of John McNabb of Riwaka. Marseilles tiles were used for the roof.
The church was opened in October 1917, and was dedicated to Blessed Peter Chanel, the first martyr of Oceania. Peter Louis Marie Chanel, born 1803 was a Catholic priest and missi,onary and was sent to Oceania. He arrived on the island of Futuna in November 1837 but was sadly clubbed to death in April 1841 at the instigation of a chief, upset because his son converted.
Archbishop Redwood presided at the opening and was assisted by the Very Rev. Dean Holley and Rev. Fathers Tymons and McGrath. St Mary’s choir from Nelson was in attendance, rendering several musical items. Services were held in both the morning and afternoon with the church being packed each time with locals from Motueka and Riwaka and visitors.
Considered to be a striking feature of the interior was the treble arch which divided the sanctuary and the nave. This was supported by four pillars of polished marble, a foot square and ten feet high. The altar was of marble blocks of three colours —white, black and white, and grey and behind this was a stained-glass window (imported from Birmingham) the subject being, “The Good Shepherd”.
A bell, weighing half a ton was hung and rung for the first time on the opening day. A marble fence was built along the front of the church, with marble pillars at each end and two more in the centre to support iron gates. As at the point of the opening £362 1sh had been paid into the church fund. One of the main forces behind the new church was the parish priest, Father Tymons who canvassed community locals and businesses for support in either funds or materials.
By 1985 the church was too small, so a new and bigger church was built. The old marble church was used as a workshop and crafts outlet until 1992 when it was taken over by the Motueka Music Group, who re-named the building The Chanel Arts Centre.