
ROBYN PARKES
In November 1922, Richmond celebrated the opening of the War Memorial/YMCZ building in Cambridge St.
Initially it was well used but the organisation could not support a secretary and for quite some time it had very little use.
The YMCA had not prospered as was expected and by 1926 there was concern that the building was destined to become a white elephant. At the same time, the old Institute building which housed the library was reaching 70 years and was in a dreadful state. What Richmond residents really wanted was a better library and a public hall.
Seeing a possible remedy for the above issues, ratepayers of Richmond presented a petition to the Council in February 1927 to take steps to acquire control of the YMCA and Institute buildings and the properties they stood on. Boards of both organisations were in agreeance with the suggestion. The library could then to be transferred to the YMCA building, with a lounge and rest rooms.
Ratepayer approval was given in November 1927 for the Council to purchase both properties. All library books and other items were catalogued and transferred into their new home, to be overseen by a new librarian. Five months later the Council accepted M. Russ’s tender of £8 to remove the old Institute building. The Council shifted their own office into the Memorial Building in late 1930.
Now the focus shifted back to a new hall. In 1930 plans were prepared for a hall on the site next to the Council Chambers/Memorial building and a loan considered, but at the same time a loan for sealing the main roads to cope with the dust problem was also being considered. Not able to afford both it was decided to withdraw the town hall scheme with the need for sealed roads being of greater importance.
It was not until late 1937 that the Government Loans Board sanctioned a proposal and approved costs of £2650, to erect a hall. Plans were drawn up by architects Messrs Houlker and Duke, of Nelson and W. E. Wilkes won the tender of £2671 for construction. To cover costs, £1300 was raised by debentures issued locally and an application to the Government for the balance of £1350 was made.
The hall was opened on the 27 July 1938 by mayor A. R. Tuffnell in front of a large gathering of residents of the borough and surrounding districts.
The structure of 80 by 40 feet was finished in stucco on steeltex. The body of the hall, seating 400, measured 50ft by 40ft, with a stage 28ft by 18ft and dressing rooms on either side. Behind this, outside the main building, was the picture projection box. The interior walls were coloured pale blue and cream with a five-foot dado of heart rimu running around the hall. The floor was of three-inch heart rimu and polished to allow for dancing. A ticket office and existing rest rooms and kitchen were incorporated into the new building.
The hall was in high demand in a very short time. Within a week of opening, a ball was held under the aupises of the local Women’s Division of the New Zealand Farmers’ Union. Also held in August was a presentation and evening of entertainment for H. W. Kelly for his services to the borough and an RSA social reunion.
The official opening of pictures at the hall started with a matinee at 2.30pm and evening session at 8pm with Shirley Temple in ‘Dimples’. Pictures were then screened every Saturday afternoon and evening.