
ROBYN PARKES
Glee clubs began in England in 1783, with the first formed in London. Traditionally, they specialised in singing short songs by trios or quartets.
Richmond Glee Club was formed around June 1872, with its first concert held in July at the Agricultural Hall.
The entrance fee was one shilling and, despite heavy rain throughout the day and evening, a large crowd attended and enjoyed a strong performance.
Practices had been sporadic, with members scattered throughout rural districts.
With such success, a second entertainment evening was organised for 11 October.
This concert was so well attended that there was not enough room for everyone to fit into the hall. Throughout the evening, various forms of entertainment were performed – solos, comic solos, choir, instrumentals and readings.
The only downside was the bad behaviour of a group who gate-crashed the event.
Over time the club disbanded, but in May 1898 a newly-formed Glee Club, connected with the literary class, gave its first performance.
At some point this club also folded, and in April 1919 a new one was formed.
In Brightwater, 1890 saw Mrs Dyson as the driving force behind its Glee Club, with 25 members signing up.
Conductorship was under Mr Gembitzki, and the club gave its first miscellaneous concert at Forester’s Hall in March at a cost of one shilling per person.
Once again, this type of entertainment proved popular, and the hall was full to overflowing, with some unable to get in. Proceeds from the event went to St Paul’s Church improvement fund.
Brightwater club concerts were always held to raise funds for a particular purpose.
The local Sunday School, Brightwater Cricket Club and St Michael’s organ fund all benefited from the efforts of the club members.
The club must have disbanded, as in June 1907 residents were invited by W A Lightband to attend a meeting to form a singing class and Glee Club at the Brightwater Institute.
The response was promising, with more than 40 turning up. After much discussion, it was agreed that a musical society be formed and called the Brightwater Musical Union, with Purcell Webb appointed conductor.
By 1904, the Wakefield Glee Club was in existence with nearly 40 members under the conductorship of E Edridge of Wai-iti.
There is uncertainty around how long the club lasted, as in May 1915 a new Glee Club was formed with five men and three women becoming members.
Practices were held at the Oddfellows Hall every Monday.
Mr Edridge of Tahina was president, Mrs H Moore the conductor and Mrs Malcolm Bird pianist.
The first concert of the new club, held in September 1915, was to raise funds for Christmas gifts for soldiers.
Waimea West Glee Club gave a concert in the school on 27 June 1910 to a bumper crowd, the seating being quite inadequate. In May 1913 the club suspended practices for a season, determined not to fold, and in September they regrouped to perform another concert.