
ROBYN PARKES
The desire for a better life prompted many families to leave their homeland and settle in a new country offering opportunities they might never have had. This was the case for the Riley family, who forged a new life in the beautiful Golden Bay.
John Riley, born in England in 1803, and his wife Mary sailed to Nelson aboard the Thomas Harrison in 1842 with their children William, Mary Ann and John.
The family later settled in Ferntown, where they grew produce, raised cattle and dabbled in the Aorere Valley gold rush.
Eldest son William Calverley became a successful businessman and a prominent figure in the community.
In his younger days, he spent time on the goldfields, earning enough to set himself up in business. He married Susan Trist, daughter of Elizabeth Heyward, in 1858 and opened a general store in Collingwood the same year.
William’s public life began in the 1860s when he was elected as one of the first members of the Collingwood Road Board, serving almost continuously until his retirement in 1894. He was also among the first members of the Collingwood County Council in 1876, alongside Mr Grange and John Ross, remaining until his resignation in 1894.
His other roles included the local school committee, licensing bench, public hall, library and institute.
In June 1870, a “much felt deficiency” was identified in Collingwood – the need for a suitable room for the library, which could also serve as a reading room, assembly room and museum. William was elected treasurer of the committee tasked with making this happen.
Privately, William dedicated many years as Sunday School superintendent. On his retirement from public life, a banquet was held in his honour, said to be one of the largest functions in the district.
William and Susan retired to Nelson, where William died on 30 June 1903. Susan passed away three months later in September. The couple had 11 children – six daughters and five sons.
Two sons, Walter and Harry, were killed at Gallipoli during World War I. Harry had been in business with his brother Edward, but the partnership dissolved in 1902, with Harry continuing on his own.
Edward opened new premises in Tasman Street, Collingwood, on 20 September 1902, assisted by his wife, who had just completed millinery training in Wellington.
The Riley family’s legacy remains tied to the history and development of Collingwood and its early settlement.